Thursday, January 1, 2015

Learning by Inundation

I've been knitting since high school when my grandmother put needles and yarn in my hands. A narrow 'doll scarf' became a real scarf, became a hat, became mittens, became a sweater, However, I've never attempted socks, that pinnacle of knitting achievement. Gussets, heel flaps, Kitchener stitch, top down, toe up, afterthought heels, what do all these mean? I don't know, but I intend to find out.

I'm a believer learning to do something by jumping in and doing it, multiple times if necessary. Having decided that I want to learn to make socks, I figured I might as well plan to make a lot of them to get the swing of it. Also knowing my tendency for procrastination, I needed to set some parameters. Hence:

THE CHALLENGE: TO KNIT 12 PAIRS OF SOCKS IN 12 MONTHS

Sound ambitious? I wouldn't know, I've never tried to make socks before and so have no idea how long they take to make. Also, being a fan of the British TV show Top Gear, I am well aware of and resigned to the idea of being "ambitious, but rubbish". I have a list of patterns I want to try, as well as a few (hopefully) quick-and-dirty sock-like projects to complete if I get bored or have extra time. I'm getting a bit delusional with that last, aren't I?

Anyway, the epic year of sock knitting will start with "Basic Socks" from the book Knitting for Dummies, which I actually suspect will be the more difficult of the sock patterns I've chosen. It's a top-down, very basic model. Continuing on into 2015 I will try different methods of construction,  including toe-up, hat-heel, etc., and different methods of adornment including Fair Isle, and possibly mirrored designs. I've also attempted to select patterns from across the span of resources available to me: pattern books, Ravelry, blogs, Knitty.com, and Pinterest.

This blog is my accountability meter, the promise that this challenge is being taken seriously (mostly) and will be accomplished (to some degree).

Right, now on to finish...the baby blanket I started for a baby who was born early, last Friday. Oy.

No comments:

Post a Comment