Tuesday, March 29, 2016

At Least They Knit Up Quick...Right?

I am at that stage in life where everyone I know is mostly done getting married and many are starting to create small new humans. Last post I was in the process of counting them all up. It's been fun trying to organize my thoughts on all of this, and to group them for easiest explanation.
Not the prettiest of charts and there is a bit of a gap as my sister-in-law just found out she's pregnant, maybe with twins, unknown genders as of yet. Oy. Unknowns are not good for my knitting schedule.
Oh yes, I have a knitting schedule. Well, a plan anyway. Mostly. I have everyone laid out in two lists: priority by due date and priority by first kids vs multiples. For example, my two cousins who delivered their second and fourth child-s, respectively, in the last month or so, are unlikely to get anything handknit for these kids at all. Sad but true. My tall hubby's cousin who delivered her first child a month ago is still on the list though, especially as we'll be seeing her and Baby W later this year. All as-yet-unborn children are still on the list to receive something handknit from Random Lady Coworker/Aunt/Cousin E.
I also have a list of prospective possible knits for each above mentioned child, based on stash yarn available for use, gender, and speediness of pattern.
It did just strike me that I may have an irrational fondness for lists of all kinds. They make me feel more organized which makes the project feel more do-able, if still daunting. Remember the gigantic sock project that was the genesis of this blog? Yeah. Here we go again.
BUT... all of these things are being knit for babies, miniature humans, so they'll knit up quicker than the funky artsy lace shawl I was going to knit for my friend's wedding, right? They also shouldn't involve any techniques I'm not familiar with, like a variety of sock heels and toes. Even if I am planning on six-month-sized sweaters since 90% of the intended recipients are going to be spring and summer babies. Shouldn't make that much of a difference, right?
ALSO... I'm almost at the point where I can check two of the people off my list anyway! Coworker K's baby shower is supposed to be this Friday and the sweater for his 2nd child and 1st girl is currently damp-blocking on my floor.

The only true in-progress shot I took. I like how the needles match the  yarn, actually.

The completed sweater.

Lots of pins to keep the edge even and mostly not-ripply. 
Isn't it so cute? I really like how it turned out. It's the Puerperium Cardigan  again, which is one of my new favorite patterns for babies. The freebie version above is in a set weight and sized for newborns. They also have the Beyond Puerperium available, which is supposed to give instructions for different gauges of yarn and bigger sizes. I'm going to have to buy it soon.
This was the sweater I was in the midst of knitting when I realized this baby was due in June, so as a newborn she may not need a heavier sweater to wear... So I made it short sleeved and decided this would be a lesson (trying to learn, see?) and Coworker K could make do. 
I also realized halfway through that I wouldn't have enough pink yarn ( Caron Simply Soft left over from a scarf for a past roommate), so I dug up some gray to stripe in for length. I really love the color combination and the slight asymmetry with the solid button band cutting across the stripes. After it dries I just have to sew on the gray buttons I bought and this sweater will be complete!
Next on my list is Coworker S who is having her first baby and first girl in late May. I wasn't sure about getting another sweater done before her eventual baby shower, especially not in a 6 month size. During a conversation with Coworker S, she mentioned that she wasn't crafty (poor girl) but had pinned lots of cute little hats on her Pinterest board knowing she wouldn't likely be able to make them. So up went my eager hand and I was set on my course to make cute, trendy hats in mint and purple, her favorite colors. My plan is to do a set of hats, one in each size up to a year. The purple newborn one is in the works now and I just sewed up the last of the 3-ish months size.

Super on-trend right now, I understand.
I think it's super cute. It's a Bow Baby Hat and is frankly kind of uninteresting. It's a straightforward stocking cap in miniature with a garter stitch bow. I picked up some Bernat Satin in the requisite colors and it was mostly done in a few days. It's a great pattern for new knitters though. Minimal purling, lots of knitting, and a great result. I may do another hat with the leftover mint yarn, we'll have to see. I have a 6 month old size hat that I knit a while ago just for this eventuality, so I'll add that to the pile as well.

Isn't it sweet?
This is the Cherry-O! out of this fantastic book:

Seriously, it's great.
I use this book a lot. It's got a lot of fantastic ideas for customizing cute small people hats with a minimum of fuss and bother. I used it a lot in the past when my desire to knit things for babies first sprang into terrible being and my knitting skill was less developed. 

ANYWAY... That's almost two projects nearly done, out of at least ten desired. 

IN REALITY THOUGH... I'm screwed, aren't I? :) Still having fun though, so onward and upward.

No comments:

Post a Comment