Saturday, November 18, 2017

Things Unfinished

So I made the mistake of signing up for NaNoWriMo. For those of you who don't know what that is, it's a novel-writing challenge where the goal is to write 50K words of a brand new novel. I failed last year and am expecting to fail this year. But I'm already at 10K words more than I wrote last year so progress, I guess?
In any event, this means all my other hobbies have been mostly put on hold as I've been trying to focus my time on writing. However, the knitting needed for attention-holding never stops.
This is where we're still at with top-down, afterthought heel sock #2:
Pretty sure it looks much the same as it did last time.
I kind of fell off the knitting with this one because I think I'm at the toe decreasing bit which takes attention. So when I needed a mindless knit for a 2 hour long team meeting, I cast on this:
Aren't the colors kind of crazy?
Exact same pattern because the meeting was at 7 am and I have the start of this sock pattern memorized. In my size at least. I'm getting to the same point of toe decreases however, so I should probably push on through to finish. Maybe if I can get both done I can call them a mismatched pair and just start wearing them rather than knitting the two socks it will take to complete them. 
Also on my oh-shoot-I-forgot-about-this-and-the-deadline-is-coming-up-FAST parade is the sweater I started for Baby M who is due to be born to Friend A in December. If you recall, I was madly in love with this sweater for Baby O and Friend M:
I still love these colors together!
Well, I finished that and handed it off to Friend M in September, I think? I of course finished it in a hot hurry in order to get it to Friend M without having to drive a million miles out of my way, and so neglected to take any finished photos of it. But, when Friend A announced she was pregnant with already-named-and-announced Baby M, I had to get on some knitting stat. I already had the pattern and yarn, I knew I liked the pattern and yarn, and so I got down to a second of the exact same sweater, just a size up. 
I think I have learned, folks, that knitting for newborns, even newborns due in December, is kind of a dumb idea. From SIL H and her Twins K and B, I know that little little babies live in onesies which are just easier to don, doff, and wash. Knitwear, not so much. So I am finishing up Baby M's sweater as a one year size because by then he will hopefully be needing things that are a little warmer and a little more outfit-like. At the moment it looks like this:
It's kind of a sorry sight, isn't it?
This is the one I am most disappointed went by the wayside with NaNoWriMo. Baby M is due in December and I'd love to get it to Friend A before that. All the pieces are knit and are being held together by three rows of stockinette stitch neckband knitting. I need to finish the neckband, knit the buttonbands and button holds, stitch on buttons, and seam up the 4 seams on the sides of trunk and down the sleeves. Sounds like a lot, but if I knuckled under it wouldn't be too bad. But I am the Procrastinator Extraordinaire and so am unlikely to do so. Especially while also trying to write a novel in a month. And keep up with laundry. And keep my house moderately clean. And work 40+ hours a week. With Thanksgiving coming up. And Christmas on the radar. Oh, and that other project that I started in on last night...
Here we go again :)

No comments:

Post a Comment